Monday, June 22, 2009

Chicago wins battle for NWU convention

Chicago is the site of the 2009 National Writers Union convention. It will be held from Aug. 5 through Aug. 9. Credit goes to Karen Ford, the new vice president of the NWU and the outgoing co-chairperson of the Chicago branch of the NWU.

Karen worked long and hard to make sure Chicago beat out Rio De Janeiro, Madrid, and Tokyo to win the bid -- which will not cost the taxpayers of Chicago any money. Oh, wait a minute. Those are the cities Chicago is competing with to be the site of the 2016 Olympics.

The battle for the NWU convention, which is officially called a Delegates Assembly, was equally compelling. We beat out Valley Stream, N.Y., my hometown and the site of the Wal-Mart Thanksgiving 2008 trampling, and, well, I don't really know.

The Delegates Assembly will feature a speech by Larry Goldbetter, the longtime co-chair of the Chicago branch of the NWU, and the incoming president of the union. Larry will be moving to New York City soon so I will keep you posted about any celebrations of his departure.

Shalom
Martin Zabell
Incoming chairperson of Chicago branch of NWU

PS -- I know that union people are supposed to use the greeting "In Solidarity," but I am genetically incapable of doing whatever anyone does. I don't sing in public either. It doesn't mean I'm anti-American if I don't sing the "Star Spangled Banner." I just don't sing. Case closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment